photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

5.07.2013

{what i'm reading v.5}

It's that time of the month where I admit that I have questionable taste in books, and yet talk about what I've been reading anyway. I have this crazy (though it doesn't seem so crazy anymore) goal to read 52 books this year, and I'm actually still ahead of schedule! I've read 22 books toward that goal, which technically puts me at 8% ahead of schedule. 
I'm pretty sure I've read more than four books in the past month, but some were sequels and other books that don't deserve to be mentioned on my list. These four were some of the best (or, at least, the most memorable) of the past few weeks. 

1 // If you're into that whole dystopian future genre that's going around right now, you might like the Matched series. They are definitely marketed toward girls (or those who prefer romance, at least). They're quick and easy, and not nearly as deep or good as Divergent or the Hunger Games (in my opinion), but definitely still worth a read. 

2 // If you are on Goodreads and have read any of the Fifty Shades of Grey books, there's a good chance you've heard of Gabriel's Inferno. It has a similar plot, though instead of a billionaire business man, our love interest is a Dante professor, and instead of a virgin college student, our protagonist is a virgin Master's student. You get the picture...it wouldn't be so terrible, but the writing was just painful to read at times! Totally over it. 

3 // I've been putting off Wallbanger for a while now, because really? Wallbanger? Eventually I picked it up because of the description:
Caroline Reynolds has a fantastic new apartment in San Francisco, a KitchenAid mixer, and no O (and we’re not talking Oprah here, folks). She has a flourishing design career, an office overlooking the bay, a killer zucchini bread recipe, and no O. She has Clive (the best cat ever), great friends, a great rack, and no O.
I have to admit that this one was really funny! I don't know why I'm so surprised; it does have a 4.27 rating (with almost 30,000 ratings). The characters didn't actually annoy me (rare), and the plot was great. I would definitely recommend this one to anyone who loves a silly romance. 

4 // And now, This Girl. If you haven't read the Slammed series, you need to get on that. Pronto. And if you're afraid of it being too explicit, don't be. The first two books of the series have no sex at all, and this one is tame (compared to what I've read, at least). The first two books were an emotional roller coaster, with plots very different than anything else you've read up until this point. This Girl is no different. If you want to cry and laugh and just have a happy heart at the end of a book, this is the one to go with. I promise you won't regret it. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you picked up the Matched series! Oh man are they quick and easy! But I can't wait until book 3 of the Divergent series!

Unknown said...

I love your book roundups Joelle! I really need to start reading more... my to-read list is growing quite long. I did recently purchase Divergent... now I just have to read it!

Unknown said...

You'll have to let me know what you think of Divergent! It's one of my favorite series right now :)

Unknown said...

I was surprisingly impressed with Matched! I've only read the first two so far, but they really are quick and entertaining. I'm anxiously awaiting book three of Divergent as well. It seriously does not get much better than that series!

Unknown said...

Thanks for ideas for reading material! I'm always looking for the next thing I'm going to read!