photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

11.28.2012

{on home and a recipe}

Apparently I'm feeling very wordy (and sentimental) this week, so I hope you'll bear with me. This blog has gone through more than a few transformations and phases since I started it two years ago. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it is that I want to say. 

I don't consider Something Charming to be only a wedding blog. It's a blog about my life, which happens to include weddings, I suppose. But I think my mission, my passion, extends far beyond just planning a pretty wedding. That desire to create beautiful and comfortable things has crept into every aspect of my life. Not only that, but I try to be so very intentional about the decisions I make, to ensure that I'm making them for a reason. Really, for my reason.

I'm a naturally caring person. Not that I'm always the kindest person in the world, but that I like to take care of other people. I like caring for my brides and grooms on their wedding day. I like encouraging my readers, providing them with comfort and inspiration. But more than these two things, I love caring for my home and those who spend time in it. For now, that's really just me and my husband, but I truly mean it for anyone who walks through my door. 

My home is not always the tidiest (we currently have five furniture sized boxes in our living room), and sometimes I forget to clean the toilet. But it's welcoming and intimate and personal, and I hope a place of contentment for anyone who happens to make their way here (who knows, that may be you someday!). 

I love cooking and baking and entertaining, mainly for others, which brings me back to the point of this post. My recipes haven't always been the most popular on this little blog, but cooking is something that I truly do love, since I feel like it's an extension of that passion of mine. And to me, offering my recipes is a way for me to bring you into my home, to show you what my life is like. Maybe it's me, offering a little bit of me to you.
Ingredients:
  • 1 whole butternut squash, cut into cubes
  • 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • Olive oil
  • Sage (fresh or bottled)
  • Garlic (diced or bottled)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
Directions:
  1. Toss the butternut squash with olive oil, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour. 
  2. Once the butternut squash is tender, place into pot with chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for five minutes.
  3. Take the pot off the heat, and puree with hand blender. Add cream and heat through (don't over boil). 
  4. Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches or crackers and enjoy!
Butternut squash and soup are too things that just feel like fall to me, so this recipe always makes my stomach and heart so full. Not only that, but it really is delicious. Just try it and see!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

yum!

Unknown said...

mmmm sounds delish! I'm always on the lookout for a good soup recipe...especially living in cold, rainy Germany during the winter time. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

mmmm I have been dying to try that soup! Thanks for the recipe!!

Unknown said...

Besides the fact that this soup looks amazing... your ability to create awesome layouts and images for your blog is amazing! That picture of the soup above is beautiful!

Unknown said...

That looks super healthy and delicious!

Unknown said...

What a lovely and thoughtful post. And that soup looks delicious. Perfect for a chilly Fall evening.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

this looks so good!!


xo,
kristyn

Unknown said...

ugh, i'm the exact opposite - i hate having people over and entertaining and keeping my house tidy - it's an awful quality of mine but it's sadly true! i wish i was different, but i don't think anything will change until we can move out of this terrible rental home. it's a dump. but the stove works, and i think i might try out this recipe - cooking soup is really like cooking for a whole week! :)