photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

2.06.2014

Life, Lately

I feel like I haven't been sharing a whole lot of person stuff on the blog lately. I guess it's just hard to find that balance between what should be shared, and what doesn't need to be shared. There are some people who live their entire lives online, documenting and sharing every single aspect, but I never really wanted to become one of those people. 

I think there is a balance, though. I won't be posting selfies in the shower anytime soon (yes, I saw that recently), but I do want to share more insight into my day to day life. I think that's the best part of Instagram, you know? Even if I don't share everything on my blog, you get to see a glimpse of my life when I post photos. But it's hard to write so much with your iPhone, so I don't always put a lot of description. Thus, here I am. 
Robert's grandmother passed away on Wednesday. It's been rough for him, even though he wasn't technically related to her by blood, but she was his only grandmother. At Christmas and other holidays we always celebrated with his parents (his mom and stepdad), his brother, and his grandparents (his stepdad's parents). It's only been a few days since she passed, but her absence is already weighing so heavily on all of our hearts. She was the one who spoiled our dog, who always made a point to tell Robert and I how much she loved us (and my freckles) and who clipped things from the newspaper that she knew would interest us. She would save all of the Wedding Celebrations articles for me, writing my name at the top of the clipping. I'm going to miss that. So much. 

Though her health deteriorated rapidly, we were able to spend a lot of time with his family in the past few weeks. There isn't much good that comes out of something like this, but I can't help but feel like it's brought us all together, closer, as a family. 

We've been going through the motions since we found out she was sick at the end of December. January was the start of booking season, and it didn't disappoint. I signed three weddings last month, and brought on a new intern. I've spent a lot of time with my vendor friends, goal setting and road-tripping it to networking events in LA. I'm so thankful for those amazing ladies. 

My anxiety has really improved recently, which is kind of surprising. I'm finding myself enjoying home more and more, without the weight of anything hanging over my head. Robert and I are finding that balance of work and marriage more and more every day, which I'm really thankful for. Working for yourself (which we both technically do) blurs the divide between work and life, but we've been good at communicating, letting each other know when work is taking over a little too much. It lets us enjoy dinner together, without the distraction of school or work, while still getting stuff done when we need to. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but I guess I'm just trying to say I feel content right now. It's a good feeling. 

Anyway, I hope you all have a great weekend, filled with family and friends and exciting adventures. If you could, I would so appreciate it if you could keep us in your thoughts and prayers; we'll be heading down to Orange County to spend time with our family, which is so needed right now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Selfies in the shower... I know exactly who you're talking about haha.


I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Enjoy your weekend with family.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss--I know how heartbreaking this time is, so I will absolutely be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Unknown said...

You're great Joelle. Thinking of you & your family during this time after Robert's Grandma's passing. Nothing can take the pain away, but thank goodness for fond memories, right? So good to hear about your lessening anxiety. I'm right there with you!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Robert's grandmother - sending love and virtual hugs! xx