photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

2.03.2014

What I'm Reading :: Vain

You know, I was so excited when I finished my book goal last year that I impulsively decided to up the number of books on my list to seventy-five this year. Seriously? What was I thinking. 

I love reading, I truly do, but I think I overestimated the amount of time I would actually have to read this year. I need to get my ass into gear if I want to reach this goal, because it's February and I've only read three books. On the bright side, I'm attempting to strive for quality over quantity this year, so maybe I should just give up already? There are quite a few sequels and other books that I'm looking forward to coming out this year, however, so I have a feeling those will make up a chunk of my goal.

Anyway, I did happen to finish a great book recently, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series of seven, though there's only one more book out so far.
About Vain...

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

It's nice to read a book with substance sometimes, one that doesn't follow a shallow formula (like I tend to stick to). It does have a love story (I rarely read a book without one), but it has a little more depth to it. I did have two issues with this book, however, both of which I was able to overlook so that I could actually enjoy it.

One was the writing style, though I didn't find it nearly as distracting as other books I've read. It's really important to develop a character's voice, especially when writing in the first person. As someone actually from Southern California, I can tell you right now that nobody here talks like Sophie. It's like the author is attempting to make her sound sophisticated, but it just sounds weird. 

The next issue I had with the book isn't meant to offend anyone, I promise. And really, it's a personal preference more than anything. I get, completely, that it's next to impossible to write a book that deviates from your own personal morals. I do, really. And I guess the whole point of the Seven Deadly series is to rehabilitate a character that has sinned. I just find it a little distracting when the message is overtly Christian, though that isn't to say it's a bad thing at all. Like I said, just a personal preference. The moral lesson in the story is important, for sure, but that doesn't necessarily means that it needed to extend beyond Sophie's vain behavior to, well, her sexual relationship with her love interest. 

To put it bluntly, it was pretty obvious that the two main characters waited to have sex until they were married for a reason. Though, to each their own. Hell, Bella and Edward did it, much to the annoyance of all us Twilight fans out there who really wanted something hot and heavy going on between them (though it didn't even happen on their honeymoon, for shame). I guess I can't get too frustrated with this book, not when I have other books to keep my interest in that department...

Regardless, the book was good. The story was enthralling and the characters really did have some serious chemistry. I liked the main character, in a way, and had a vested interest in her own development. To me, that's the formula for an overall-good-book. 

Okay friends, as always, I need some new recommendations! I do have quite a few books in my queue, but I also have seventy-five books to get through this year. I need something new, something that'll keep my attention. Thoughts?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks really good! I'm going to put this on my list!

Unknown said...

You should! It really is a great book :)

Unknown said...

You'll have to let me know how you like it!

Unknown said...

75?! wowzah. that's awesome. im half way through 'where did you go Bernadette?"loving it! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Unknown said...

Oh you should definitely read "Where'd you do Bernadette?" I second that recommendation! I read it on the plane to SLC and it was so cute. :)

Unknown said...

The Girl Who Chased the Moon is an easy/enjoyable read. I also loved The Night Circus and Wild!

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh good to know. Adding them to my list now :) I've actually been wanting to read the Night Circus for a while now, so that should probably happen ASAP.

Unknown said...

Well, since it got TWO recommendations, now I have to read it! Thanks Laicie :) xoxo