photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

5.14.2012

{monday’s mantra & a shit list}

Today’s mantra is much easier said than done.

Think Happy

These days, I’ve been finding myself thinking negative much more than thinking happy. It feels like I’m constantly worrying about everything: money for the summer, my job, our apartment, this blog. And even though I know that thinking this way doesn’t help anything, it can be hard to fight it.

Now, I’m not saying that this is some brilliant technique that will change your life, but I have figured out a way to keep me from worrying myself to death. It isn’t original either, but I felt like it was important to share.

All too often, we have a thousand things in our minds that keep us awake at night, or keep us from functioning at our full potential. But when was the last time that you really thought about what these things are, why you are thinking about them, and how you can solve the problem?

That’s what I thought.

Stop Worrying Flow Chart

It may sound crude, but that’s how I came up with my shit list.

Whenever I find myself overwhelmed with worry, I write it down. There are basically two columns: problem and solution. I write all of my problems down, and if there is not solution, I write that and cross the item off my list. Because there is no need to worry about something if I can’t do anything about it. Right?

And if there is a solution? It’s a lot easier to solve your original problem if the answer is staring you in the face.

photo (1)

How do you deal with worry? Have you ever created your own “shit list”?

14 comments:

Robin said...

Is this your handwritting? Wow incredibly cute and fun!

Anonymous said...

I definitely have my own version of a "shit list"... I write down everything that's bothering me and first figure out if I have any control over the situation. If I do, I go ahead and come up with ways to make myself feel better. When I was in college and would freak out over a test I would remind myself that I have to take it no matter what - so I might as well study as best I can and do the best I can.

I hope all works out for you dear!

Stesha said...

a nice little hick in the butt! Love that second quote! always think happy!

xx

Lindsay @ Trial By Sapphire said...

Simple, right? ;-)

The Pink Growl said...

I love the shit list idea, and I will soon be making my own! I think this feeling is going around the bloggy world lately, I've been seeing lots of these posts.

Georgia Glam said...

When I think of "shit list" I think of people who are in "deep shit" with me so therefore they are on that list hahaha! If I wrote down your kind of shit list my head might explode! I love your problem flow chart though....so very true! How did you make that btw??

Lindsay @ Lovely Life Styling said...

I love your "shit list" idea! Simple and to the point...it really helps me to write my worries down on paper too! Helps to put things in perspective and makes me feel less manic!

Jenna said...

LOVE this! It's so simple, but it totally works :)

xxx
Jenna

chanel said...

I love your shit list and you are so right. Find the solution and do it. My best friend's grandma always says that 85% of the things that we worry about never happen.

xo chanel
http://bywayofney.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

I can totally relate! I worry needlessly all. the. time. Maybe I should make a shit list, I can see how it would make you feel better!

Clare said...

I love this! I am a huge worrier - maybe I need to make a shit list, too?!? Your graphic is awesome - well stated :)

Betty said...

That list is such a great idea! I might have to implement that for my own life. THanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is FABULOUS Joelle! Worrying is a part of my life. Too much worrying for problems I can't solve. Now I try to select my thoughts as much as possible and if it does not serve me I put it in the bin.
But I like your idea there and I will start doing this. Perfect timing.
Stay well dear and keep inspiring us!

Lindsey Hutter Style Client Page said...

The "Shit List" is brilliant! I will definitely have to give it a whirl! Thanks so much for sharing!
xo,
Lindey
www.caviartaste.com