photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

8.20.2013

{wedding wednesday :: color vs. design}

Happy Wedding Wednesday everyone! I've missed you, I really have! I am so excited to start blogging about weddings again with all of you, and to see what you all have up your sleeves. 

It's actually a great day to start back up on this series, because a pretty inspired shoot that I got to work with some of my favorite wedding vendors was just featured on 100 Layer Cake! After thinking about it for a bit, I realized that this shoot was a perfect way to introduce a little dialogue on color vs. design. 

I think that one of the biggest misconceptions about wedding design is that it's all about color. True, this shoot that I coordinated was big on the color, but I used color to influence the overall design, rather than fit my design into the color scheme. Lavender was my inspiration, but not only the color lavender; I wanted to use the herb as well. Lavender also evokes a natural, organic feeling, which I ran with, but tried to pair it with some elegant touches to keep things from getting too rustic. 

It's also about the right type of lavender. My preference is for a subdued color, with grey undertones, and wanted to add other pops of color to create a fun, bright mood. For me, the mood or theme of the design is so much more important than just the color, and the feeling of the design is a combination of so many different elements: lighting, texture, metallics, accents, prop style, glassware, venue, in addition to color. 

I'd love to know what your thoughts on wedding color vs. design are. There are so many wedding websites out there that try to get you to commit to a color palette before anything else, which is terrible! I won't lie; before I had any experience in design, I did it for my own wedding, and I regret it. I'd love to know what your experience with color is in regards to your wedding design!

In the meantime, here are a few more photos from this sweet shoot that I did. Thanks to Lavender and Twine for the amazing photography, and These Buds a Blooming for the pretty flowers! You can see the entire inspired shoot on 100 Layer Cake
The rules for Wedding Wednesday are simple:

All posts must be recent (within a month) and wedding related. You can post about your favorite current wedding trends, photos from your wedding, your wedding planning experience, etc. That's it!

Obviously I would love it if you would visit the other blogs that are linked up, and I would SO appreciate it if you would link back to Something Charming in your post or use my button. Happy Wedding Wednesday everyone!

Now it's your turn! Link up your Wedding Wednesday posts below!


Something Charming

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see Wedding Wednesdays are back! Love the stripes on the table cloth fabric!

Unknown said...

I love the blue table! :)

xx Denysia Yu
http://thatlaitgirl.com

Unknown said...

I love this pastel colour palette, it is so intimate and romantic

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about color and design. I have a pretty specific feeling in mind, and I'm always confused when people ask me what our colors are. Now I know what colors we'll be mostly using, but I always say, "It's just going to be really soft!" and they look at me like I'm a weirdo.


That shoot is amazing! You are so good at what you do :)

Unknown said...

YAY Wedding Wednesday! I had an idea in mind of everything looking and feeling like a winter wonderland. So, I used a lot of pale, icy blues and darker purples, but I never confined myself to those colors only.

Unknown said...

This shoot is crazy gorgeous, and I love love love your tag line! It just so happens that I have a wedding post up today, so I went ahead and added the link. :) So much fun!

Unknown said...

I'm also so glad that Wedding Wednesday is back! And just so happens to coincide with the day I'd already decided to post our McCormick Ranch shoot on my blog. :) And SUCH good advice on color vs. design. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the most amazing wedding EVER (whenever that happens...) with all the insight and advice I get from you! xoxo

Unknown said...

Not to mention I don't think anyone would've thought lavender and citrus went together, until this shoot you did with Daniele. :) NICE!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! I'm glad it's back too :)

Unknown said...

Isn't that cute! I knew I needed to use it when I saw it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kristy!

Unknown said...

You are so freaking sweet Megan! And I absolutely get what you mean about it being "soft". I use that word a lot too!

Unknown said...

Love it! I always prefer using a theme like that rather than colors. Makes things so much better!

Unknown said...

Oh yay! and thank you so much Laicie! Glad you got to link up :)

Unknown said...

Ha, well thanks lady ;) Thanks for linking up my dear! xo