photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

2.09.2012

{ladylike}

I don't know why the topic scares me so much, but it does. Which is unfortunate, since it's something that I'm passionate about. Maybe it's because I've been burned before by people who just don't understand why I am so concerned about presenting myself as classy, ladylike, and feminine. I consider myself a feminist, which may seem impossible to some since half the clothes of my closet are varying shades of pink. But these days, for some reason, the words feminist and feminine, are not only contradictory, but controversial. It's unfortunate, since women have apparently few choices as to how they present themselves today. At the risk of being, God forbid, regressive, we can choose to stay home with our children and wear dresses everyday. Or we can support women's equality by fighting our way to the top of the corporate ladder and giving our families second priority. Is there no middle ground?

But, I digress. This is not a essay on the complications of being a woman, and the struggle between feminism and femininity. It's more of an announcement, I suppose. Because I want to write about the things that make me, me. I want to write about how to be classy and ladylike, and how I'm personally working toward becoming these things. At the same time, however, I'm having trouble with the fact that a lot of my opinions will come off as expectations, and I don't want anyone to feel bad about themselves because they don't meet these standards. They are my own values, and if anyone applies them to themselves, whether positively or negatively, that's their perogative.

So that's it. That is my disclaimer for a new topic of posts that I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. I've yet to find the perfect resource online for being ladylike and classy, so I'm creating my own.


{via}

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Becoming more classy and ladylike is something I am working towards as well. I look forward to your posts on the topic!

Liesl said...

I simply adore this post and have always been someone who enjoyed being feminine and dressing up, but remaining classy and tasteful as well...I completely relate to what you express here! Very well said! I too enjoy writing and look forward to these new posts of yours! Yay!

Liesl :)

Sar said...

Amen! Keep it up sister.

Christianna said...

Can't wait to read your new set of posts! This is going to be fun!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I agree whole-heartedly!

Anonymous said...

I love your post Joelle! The style of your writing match perfectly the topic.
I can't wait to read your next posts on this..........xx

Eliza :: Case Study said...

I couldn't agree more! I love that you're taking the initiative to start your own classy, ladylike resource :) Looking forward to seeing more posts about this...xo!

Anonymous said...

I choose to be ladylike and feminine, yet because i also love to cook, bake, and sew, some people still make the assumption that i can't also be independent and smart and chase after my own dreams.

I think it's great if you embrace the art of being classy, ladylike *and* independent.. I look forward to hearing more on this from you!

Moon said...

I'm looking forward to that!
I would describe myself as feminine and not really a feminist, but there's nothing but nice thing about being ladylike!