photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

9.06.2012

{a fall story}

IMG_8754
I'm sure you've read a lot of posts already about why people love fall {even though fall doesn't officially start for a few weeks}. For me, and for a lot of people, it starts unofficially the day after Labor Day and goes all the way until the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love this long season, for quite a few reasons, many of which I'm sure you haven't heard before. 

Three years ago, in May, I graduated from college. It was the middle of the recession and you can imagine how difficult it was to find a job. So, I moved back in with my parents. Summer was good. I finally found a job, and I was able to enjoy time with my fiancĂ© and my family. But the last week of August, Robert moved back to school, two hours away, to finish his senior year. 

It was fall, and I didn't have my fiancĂ© with me, I didn't get along with my parents, and I had no friends left at home. I was miserable. 

But then. 

It was fall, and that's when I discovered Taylor Swift, Twilight, and pumpkin spice lattes. These were the things that kept me going.

It was fall, and I became best friends with the sweetest, most creative woman I've ever met. We started our first event planning business, and spent nearly every day together drinking Starbucks, eating McDonalds, and making wedding cakes. 

It was fall, and I got fired from that first job. I spent over a month racking up credit card debt while I desperately tried to find another one. 

It was fall, and I started writing my book. I would stay up all night long, listening to Taylor Swift and Muse and Owl City, my headphones all the way up and drinking red wine while typing away on the computer. 

It was fall, and I finally started to plan my own wedding. 

Most people talk about how they love the short days, cool weather, and warm clothes that come with fall. I love all of these things, but for a different reason. 

I love these things because it reminds of that time, that time when the leaves changed and I changed. I grew up that fall. I grew into the person I am today. This is why I love Taylor Swift so much, and why I have such stress over that still-unfinished book. It's not just a season of the year for me. It was a season of my life, probably the most difficult and most rewarding season of my life. I'll always be grateful for that time. 

I look forward to this time every year now. It's a time for scarves and hot drinks and comfort food. But it's also a time for me to look back and be proud of how far I've come since then. 

And this is why I love fall. 

Joelle Something Charming

18 comments:

McKenzie said...

What an amazing post. All of the reasons you listed above are definitely reasons to love fall! It's great that you use this time to reflect on your own personal growth.

http://mckenzieadelaide.blogspot.com/

Syndal said...

what a great post, Joelle! Such an amazing reflection of your recent past life and how far you've come since then..it is so important to remember that!

Christianna said...

Such a beautiful and well written post! I loved every bit of it!

Kristyn @ Carolina Fireflies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristyn @ Carolina Fireflies said...

Thank you for this. This fall, the leaves with change and I will change. My fiance moved out on Labor Day and I have a lot of changing to do to convince him that I am still the girl he fell in love with. I feel like no matter how old I get, I will always have growing up to do.

Tarabelle said...

Great great post. You are very well written! I look forward to more!

Tara

http://tarabelle-adropofink.blogspot.com/

Et tu, tutu? said...

I loved this post. Thanks for sharing! :)

-Lindsey

jackie said...

i love this. so well written!

Kate said...

I love this, Joelle! And those pictures are too cute, that yellow looks great on you!

alyssa_armstrong said...

Such a wonderful post, Joelle! :)

Chrissi Holt said...

I love this season too. We are heading into Autumn here in the UK and as I was just saying to my mom despite the warm weather it sure smells like autumn at night time ... don't forget Halloween ... I love throwing Halloween parties :)

Chrissi xo

www.christianaholt.blogspot.com

Call it Adventure said...

This was a beautiful post with so much heart. That's an amazing journey you went on! And what a wonderful way to remember Fall. :)

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

So beautiful! I love learning why people love certain seasons over others. I'm a fall girl, too :)

Courtney said...

Maybe my favorite post of yours ever. Really and truly, I loved it. Thanks for posting. It makes me wonder why fall is my favorite season...hmm going off to reflect now.

Simply Splendid LOVE said...

Love these pictures. You look pretty in yellow! It's so fun to get to know you more. I love it when others are real. It's so interesting to go through difficult/challenging times, come out of it and then see how much better of a place you are in. I hope this is the best fall yet for you!

Samara said...

Beautiful post. You should be proud of how far you have come :)

I love Taylor Swift too, except it reminds me of when I had the worst fight ever with my then bf and in the midst of it all realised I couldn't live without him...and here we are today, married :)

Aunie said...

you are SO BEAUTIFUL, Joelle! In every way!

Laura said...

What an awesome story Joelle. So honest. It made me tear up and gave me chills all at once. <3