photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

9.11.2012

{wedding wednesday: why hire a planner}

It recently occurred to me that while I’m a wedding planner, I’ve never actually explained to you why you need a wedding planner. So, here it goes.

Need a Wedding Planner
via

If you’re as obsessed with weddings as I am {doubtful}, you probably have quite a few wedding blogs that you subscribe to and read every day. It’s through these blogs, and other social media like Pinterest, that we’re constantly bombarded with beautiful weddings. But something needs to be said about these weddings: they’re the best of the best. And more likely than not, there was a wedding planner behind it all {minus the one above, since that was an elopement…}.

What I do

Even if a potential client comes to me, knowing that they want a wedding planner, they still ask me what I do. Every wedding planner is different, and it’s really important that you ask your potential planners what sets them apart from others in the field.

I usually tell my clients and potential clients this: that my number one goal for the day is for them to enjoy their wedding, stress free. If I can get through the entire day without having to bother them with anything, I consider it a major success.

My Day Of Planning Package typically starts one month before the wedding, when I schedule a meeting to go over everything {though I include unlimited contact via phone and email from the moment they contract me as their planner}. At this time, we’ll typically have a walkthrough of the venue/venues and talk about their schedule for the day. After this meeting, I’ll put together a preliminary timeline for the day, and send it out to all the vendors so that they can review it and confirm their time, as well as let me know what their expectations for me for the day are.

In the weeks leading up to the wedding, I’ll schedule a few meetings and phone calls with them so that they can tell me their vision and their expectations. My goal is to get to know them as a couple, so that I can make decisions on their behalf when the wedding comes. On the day before the wedding, we have a rehearsal {hopefully}, and then it’s wedding time!

I have a lot of different roles for the wedding day, but I typically like to consider myself the main point of contact for everyone involved. At this point, all of the vendors know who I am, and know that I am the one to come to if any issues arise. I’m also responsible for ensuring that everything is laid out according to the wishes of the couple getting married, and that the day flows smoothly. Other random things I’ve found myself doing in the past {but obviously don’t advertise as included in my package}: assistant bartender, cake cutter, emcee {I now include in my contract that I do not  emcee}, photo booth and/or bathroom attendant, catering staff, and therapist {of course}.

Why you need me {or someone like me}

Not convinced? Would you answer a few questions for me:
  • What would you do if the day before your wedding, you found out there was a 75% chance of rain? Do you have a tent rental company in your vendor contacts?
  • What if your bustle came undone? Would you have safety pins to pin it back up? Do you even know what a bustle is?
  • What about if you got red lipstick on your dress? Hope you have that Tide-to-go handy!
  • What if the florist came with one less boutonniere than you ordered? Would you have the contract with you to remind her how many you needed? Do you have the materials to make a boutonniere on the spot?
  • Do you really want to spend your day putting out place settings, alphabetizing place cards, hanging banners, pointing vendors in the right direction, and keeping people from drinking too much? Do you really want a family member responsible for these things, someone who should be enjoying your wedding day as well?
I have multiple tent rental companies that I’ve worked with. I have an emergency kit that includes not only safety pins and deodorant, but power tools and floral tape, which takes care of that missing boutonniere as well {true story: I’ve had to create a boutonniere from an extra flower on the cake before}. And that last question? Well, those are the things that someone has to do at every wedding, and I promise that you don’t want to be doing it. You should be too busy drinking mimosas and getting beautiful to worry about whether or not each table has the correct number of plates and chairs.

All planners, or all good planners, have a plan B. We know what to do when things don’t go exactly as planned. We know weddings like nobody else, because it’s our job! Florists may know flowers, and photographers may know what the best shots are, but we know it all. We have extensive lists of vendors for you to use, but more than that, we know what works for you. We don’t want to take over your wedding; we want to work with you to make sure that your wedding is just as amazing as you imagine.

So that’s that, really. I could go into more specifics, but I’d like to think that I’ve convinced you already. If not, here are a few other posts from other great sites that might be able to do the job for me:
What do you think? Did I convince you?

19 comments:

Betsy Transatlantically said...

haha did my question the other week inspire you? :P

Candice said...

This makes me want to hire you!!
I guess I'd better move my butt to Cali!

Veronica Lee Burns said...

Wedding planning is hard! I would have hired a full on wedding coordinator if I could have. I did have the help of a friend I called my wedding coordinator for a few things, plus she handled everything on the day of...which is seriously worth it! That day of!

Kristyn @ Carolina Fireflies said...

I definitely think you should hire a wedding planner! I have loved every single second of wedding planning because of it!

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

I couldn't agree with you more - there is no more important person than a wedding planner!!!
As a bride, you definitely don't need the added stress!
Thank you for all the hard work, you (and other planners) do for us brides.
x

Kaitlyn Thatcher said...

After reading this I sure wish I'd had you be my day of coordinator!! My mom was actually amazing that day but her being stressed made me stressed and stress is the last thing I wanted on my wedding day.

Ashley Erickson said...

This is why I am so lucky to have you as my planner!!!!

Emily @ Anna Delores said...

I will SO hire a wedding planner (at LEAST a day-of) when the time comes. You're on my list, Joelle! I just need a groom first... ;)

jackie said...

a family friend agreed to do day of coordinating for me and she was great. it was such a relief to have her taking care of things so that I could focus on getting married!

Style Events said...

These are all right on! I couldn't agree more!

Lauren M. said...

I agree! Having a weddding planner for my wedding was a great idea. I didn't have to worry about anything, she took care of things that I had no idea even needed to be done.

MyersMaison.blogspot.com

ashley nicole catherine said...

so fun to link up today! we didn't have a planner, but goodness, i can see the need! luckily, the "catering manager" ended up being more of a day-of coordinator which really helped!!

Unknown said...

I agree! You are so right.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I would LOVE to be a wedding planner. I was talking to a friend recently and saying how I won't know what to do with myself once my wedding is over. You have a really great blog =)

Courtney said...

I am at this exact stage right now! What a timely post. If you have any interest in planning a wedding in SLO, let me know. I realize we're on opposite sides of the state but SLO is in the middle :)

Marry Digg said...

Wedding planners seem to be the best people to run to whenever you need more ideas and some creativity! When I hired somebody, I thought it would be more difficult to deal with everything… but I was wrong. I eventually end up hiring my best friend, actually. Gawd, I just love having a best friend like her! Haha!

Libby said...

Thanks for this, Joelle! What do you think about/do for destination weddings? Even in the States, multiple trips to the site just aren't feasible, Yelp is a bride's best friend for vendors, and you're unfamiliar with the area. Hypothetically, if a bride was getting married in your area, but was from hours away, how is a situation like that handled with most planners?

joelleduff said...

I actually work with a lot of brides and grooms who aren't from Southern California. Santa Barbara is an especially popular place for destination weddings, so if that happens, I usually take care of vendor meetings and we'll skype in the clients if necessary. It's all about communication, and making sure that we're all on the same page so that I (or another planner) can act on behalf of the couple getting married.

Unknown said...

Nice post....This is great information for people who are looking for wedding planners....Arranging the wedding caterers for wedding is not an easy but wedding planner make it so simple.