photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

9.10.2012

{look at her: shannon from the simply luxurious life}

Last week was my first week with this new series, and it really seems like you all enjoyed it, so I’m excited to keep going with it! I have another amazing blogger for all of you to meet this week for Look At Her, and one of the very first blogs that I found when I started this crazy journey.

Simply Luxurious Life

What do you do for a living? What made you decide to choose that career path? How does it reflect who you are as a person?

Currently, I am high school English teacher, as well as a lifestyle and fashion blogger/writer who founded the blog The Simply Luxurious Life. As far as what determined my career path, it was my passion for writing, reading, fashion and my endless curiosity of how to live a fulfilling life. Both of these jobs allow me an opportunity to continually learn and pass on my knowledge, and ultimately, I believe that it is our responsibility to contribute something positive to society in a way that is alignment with our talents and passions. I feel fortunate to have found both of these occupations.

What made you want to start the Simply Luxurious Life? How do you find inspiration for your posts?

In 2009, I found myself living in a small town for a few years after having moved from a metropolis area, and I wanted to share with others that regardless of where you live, you can always live luxuriously. It doesn't matter how much or little you make, with the tools of living simply, a luxurious life is possible for everyone. And my inspiration for communicating with my readers is available every single day. It's simply a matter of living consciously and paying attention to what's around us every single day - the beauty of season, a magazine article, a newspaper opinion piece, interactions with people I care about, a delicious meal I had for dinner or a glass of wine that impressed me at a wine tasting.

via

Why are you so passionate about sharing tips for "simply luxurious" living?

Even as a young girl, I adored things of beauty, but I also appreciated it the most when there was less of it - meaning less clutter, therefore instilling more appreciation. And even as I progressed through college, and then living on my first paycheck as a teacher in my 20s (which wasn't much), I realized anyone can live luxuriously if they choose to surround themselves with less (which ultimately creates more tranquility), thus freeing ourselves to purchase items or experiences of quality that will last much longer. In the end, the fulfilling life is a life that is lived knowing what we value most, and savoring it after working so long and hard to achieve it. More doesn't necessarily mean better. In fact, after a certain point, it actually decreases the quality of one's life. What increases our fulfillment is determining our purpose, eliminating the unnecessary and enjoying the journey.

via

How do you live out the values you write about on your blog?

Everything I write about on the blog comes from experience. Often, my Monday Motivational posts come from either a lesson I've learned or a question I want to have answered. I am not perfect and continue to make mistakes, but I live each day trying to do better than the day before. As far as living simply luxuriously - I value quality - food, clothing, experiences, relationships, etc -  and prefer less of everything. I may not go out every night, but when I do, I've saved up for a lovely evening and prefer to wear a stylish outfit that I love wearing that took time to purchase as I had to save up for it.

What is one piece of advice you have for those who want to live more intentionally, and with more luxury in their life?

First get to know who you are, what you value and what you're passionate about. Let these three dictate how you will edit your life, so that you can enjoy the luxuries associated with them.

TrademarkHeader

I’ve followed Shannon’s blog for a while now, and I always love reading her tips on how to live simply yet luxuriously. It really isn’t as difficult as it sounds, as long as you’re willing to put in a little time and energy! You should definitely go check out the Simply Luxurious Life. You can also find Shannon on Twitter and Facebook.

4 comments:

Casee Marie said...

What a lovely feature! Shannon's blog is one of my favorites, too. She inspires a sense of elegance for our day-to-day lives that really resonates with me. That might be my favorite thing about it. When I first came across The Simply Luxurious Life I had a moment of self-recognition. Being a writer and spending most of my time at home, it's an ongoing joke between my family that I get dressed up just to stay in - but if it's one little way of adding a touch of glamour (and, in that way, a touch more happiness) to my life then why not? The Simply Luxurious Life is like a handbook for every girl who feels that way.

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Joelle, thank you very much for your lovely words about the blog. I am truly touched and so happy to have the opportunity to be introduced to your readers. What a wonderful series! Thank you again. xoxo

Kylie Cooper said...

One of my very favorite blogs! I read her often and now that she's led me to yours I may just as well add this to my daily rads as well! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Kylie! Shannon really is one of my favorite bloggers too :)

xoxo,
Joelle