photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

10.27.2013

{happy sunday + happy birthday}

Today's post is coming early today for quite a few reasons. First of all, yesterday was my last wedding of the season (and I survived! can someone please grab me a glass of champagne now?), and second of all, it's my darling husband's birthday today!

I'm not usually one to post stories that are too personal (at least not of me), but I thought I'd make an exception today. It is his twenty-fifth birthday after all, and Robert's story is more than a little inspirational.

I don't know that I've ever told this on the blog before, but both Robert and I were raised by single mothers. To say it that way doesn't really give my mother-in-law due credit though (we'll talk about my own mom another time, don't you worry), because her story isn't a typical single-mother story. You see, my mother-in-law was only fourteen when she got pregnant with my husband. I'll spare you all the gory details, but know that this wasn't a romantic teenage love story. It was only because of her love for her son and sheer will that got her from soup kitchens to where my family is now. It took me a while to understand when I was younger, but I have no doubt now: what she did was incredible and I have only the highest love and respect for her. She also had to put up with a romantic teenage love story when Robert and I started dating, when he was only fifteen years old. I can imagine how terrifying that was...

Robert was the first person in his family to graduate from high school, and now he is not only a college graduate, but has a Master's degree, and is currently a PhD candidate. In less than two years, he will be my Dr. Duff. Oh, and did I mention he's turning twenty-five today? I love him, more than anything, and I am so blessed to have such an ambitious and compassionate husband. 

I wanted to use this space for a special mantra this weekend. To celebrate all that my husband has accomplished in his twenty five years, all that my mother-in-law has done, for herself and her (our) family and save a little bit for all I've done too. Last night was my last wedding of the season, and I'm honestly not quite sure what to do with myself just yet. But I know that this next year is going to be just amazing. I can feel it. 

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, good for her for hanging in there! That takes a strong woman to raise a child so young...and lucky you, he's the man of your dreams now :)

Happy 25 Robert!

xx -b.

Unknown said...

Wow - What an incredible and inspirational story. I can't imagine being in your MIL's shoes. I'm 25 and can barely make it through a day with a baby (and I have income, a house, etc). She's truly a MOTHER and a hero. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your hubs, I bet his mom is so proud of all that he has become/and is becoming. It truly says so much about how strong she is, and how well she raised him.

Unknown said...

That was a moving story! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, how amazing! Congrats to your hubby and all he has accomplished! Your MIL sounds incredible. It's so amazing to marry into such a great family :)

Unknown said...

So awesome!

Unknown said...

Love this!! And congrats on your last wedding of the year, though I KNOW that both Robert and Emily have already grabbed you a glass of champagne. Nice try. ;)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Robert! So exciting. And I love this quote.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to Robert, and bless his heart for all that he has to do to earn his PhD! Another inspiring quote from you, as always!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Brittany! It really does - I'm lucky and thankful to have her as my MIL!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean Tausha...I don't even have children, I'm still in awe. She really is proud of him (as she should be, if I do say so myself!).

Unknown said...

Thanks Denysia!

Unknown said...

It really is - I'm so thankful!

Unknown said...

Thanks lady! xo

Unknown said...

Ha, actually I didn't get ANY champagne last week. We should probably remedy that situation ASAP.

Unknown said...

Thanks Aunie! xoxo

Unknown said...

Thanks Kate! And he really does work so hard for it, I don't know that I could ever do it!