photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

3.21.2012

{dressing down}

{via}

I can't lie; I am one of those people who will wake up fifteen minutes before I have to leave for work, throw on a sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, and leave without even taking a shower. This is not something I'm proud of. In fact, it's something that I hate about myself. I attribute it {partially} to my perpetual exhaustion, but I know that isn't always the reason. Even if I've gotten a full ten hours of sleep, there are days when I'm still too lazy to get ready.

This is how it usually goes in the morning...

Alarm goes off at 5:30. Oh, I really should get up, but my bed is so comfortable and my dog is so sweet cuddling at my feet. Maybe just another fifteen minutes.

Alarm goes off at 5:45. I'm sooooooooooooooooo tired. I just can't do it. If I get up at 6:15, that still gives me a half an hour before I have to leave...

Alarm goes off at 6:15. I don't care about looking nice for people at work, and Robert doesn't get home until ten tonight. I'll have enough time to shower before he sees me. I'll sleep for another fifteen minutes, and then I can just put my hair up in a bun.

Alarm goes off at 6:30. Fine. I hate life.

Mornings like these usually result in frizzy hair, baggy jeans, and little to no makeup. It's true that I don't particularly care about looking nice at work, but I would be horrified if any of you saw me looking like that. Also, I just don't feel good when I look terrible. My normally high confidence level plunges on these days, and my day is usually burdened with thoughts that I should have just. woken. up. earlier.

I've made it a resolution of mine to start getting ready in the morning. I don't have to be all done up, but the basics would be nice. You know, blow drying and straightening my hair {takes a whole ten minutes}, concentrating while putting my makeup on and not just throwing it on my face, actually remembering to put deodorant on {yes I just admitted to that}...

This isn't for anyone other than me. This is so that I can actually feel good about myself, so that I have confidence when I walk into a room. I daydream about the work that I actually want to do, so why don't I dress for it?

Do you have this problem? It seems as if everyone is always put together, so I hate feeling this way! How do you get over it?

12 comments:

Christianna said...

Hahahahaha, I totally do this too. But I always take a shower. Even if it's real quick. I never feel like I can start the day without one. LOL. So you are not alone!

Jenna said...

I'm really guilty of this, I normally shower in the mornings because otherwise I never wake up, but then jump out throw my hair in a bun, put on powder and mascara and run out the door, already running 15 minutes late.

Oh, and I keep a spare deodorant in my car because I had forgotten to put it on so many times that it was getting embarrassing :/

I need to make getting up earlier a goal too!

xxx
Jenna

Amanda said...

Ha. Oh gosh, I'm totally the same way. I have my good days, where I actually get dressed and do my hair, but I'd say 75% of the time, I'm in yoga pants and a baggy t-shirt. I always wonder about those people though; the ones who look perfect, always. I mean, really?!

That's a good resolution. I may have to try it... next year. =)

Jillian said...

What I usually do is get everything ready the night before. I iron my clothes and lay them out. All my makeup is one place. My lunch is packed. I've showered. The only thing I really have to think about is making coffee. You should try it! It's dramatically decreased my "getting ready" time, which means more time for sleep!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I am the exact same way. And same with me, no matter how many hours of sleep I get, I'm always too lazy and exhausted to get up more than like 20-30 minutes before I have to leave.

Good luck with your resolution. This is something I want to work on as well... I don't have any tips for you, but I feel your pain!

Jacki said...

Oh goodness Joelle, this is SO me too ... and it's something I also really want to change about myself ... I love sleep and hate waking up early but also hate leaving feeling like I'm a walking disaster! I'm going to join you in this resolution :)

Unknown said...

omg I thought I was the only person who forgot to put deodorant on hahaha. Girl, I do the same thing with the bun... I have rocked many a bed heads to work...and my make up is in a to go case so i can easily slip it on at work

More power to you for getting up and getting ready that early in the morning


landoflovers.blogspot.com

Eliza :: Case Study said...

This post blows my mind! I picture you in your beautiful life waking up at 5:30AM every day and spending hours upon hours primping, blogging, and doing other amazingly Joelleish things.

That being said, this makes me feel so much better about my own mornings ;) I'm not the only one!! It's been one of my goals lately to work on a solid sleep schedule and a morning/evening routine. I'm going to dust that goal off and get busy.

xo! eliza

Brianna said...

I've become this way!! I wear scrubs everyday for work so when I get home, the last thing I want to do is up and get ready again... so I'll usually show up to things, still in my scrubs. Serious hot mess here... I'm trying to get better at at LEAST putting myself together on my weekends hahaha.

Britt said...

I keep deodorant in my purse. Something I am not proud of but it is always with me in case I forget. I also take all of about 15 minutes to get ready in the morning. One of my key things is showering at night and blow drying my hair. I should get better at picking out my outfits too, but eh I don't.

Amy @ At the Pink of Perfection said...

I am the same way! For some reason I turn into a trucker/sailor in the mornings, you should hear my mouth!

Kaitlyn Thatcher said...

Oh my gosh. We are like the same person. I just had Erik read this and he laughed out loud because that is my exact routine in the morning. The first time the alarm goes off I always think - I don't really NEED to shower...Last week I discovered I can shower and be out the door in like 20 minutes if I put my hair up wet with a hat - very classy. If you find a solution please tell me because I have yet to find something that motivates me to get up and get ready.