photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

3.27.2012

{in my makeup bag}

I guess you could say that I’m somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to my makeup. Like most teenage girls, I went way overboard with the foundation and the glitter and the eyeliner when I was in high school, so I pretty stick with the basics now: tinted moisturizer {or foundation when it’s necessary}, powder, blush, mascara, and lipgloss.

In my makeup bag

I’ve been wearing a lot of the same type of makeup since my wedding almost two years ago. I got my makeup done for my bachelorette party at Mac, and they did such a great job matching my foundation and powder to my skin that I haven’t looked back since. I’ve been known to wear only Mac at times, and while I do still use their blush, I found that their mascara clumps too much for me. Which is why I randomly picked up some CoverGirl Lash Blast  mascara at Target last year. And when I got tired of wearing foundation everyday, I grabbed some tinted moisturizer from Sephora. I’m not happy with either of these though, and I’m thinking it’s time for me to reconsider my arsenal {though I still do love my Sephora lipgloss}.

I don’t mind spending money on makeup, if it’s the right makeup for me. Growing up, I hated my freckles and tried desperately to cover them up in any way that I can, and I think Mac is great for that. But now I actually kind of like them, and wouldn’t mind having them show through my powder. I don’t have great lashes, so I need a great mascara. And if you have any tips on how to keep eyeliner from smudging, please send them my way.

Here’s what I’ve been considering:

What I'm thinking

Tinted moisturizer :: Laura Mercier
Blush: Nars in Orgasm {heard so much about this one…}
Mascara: Lacome Hypnose
Powder: Bare Minerals

Do you use any of these? Why? If not, what do you prefer to use?

16 comments:

Holly said...

I love the MAC products, so fun! Also, I have that Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer, love it!!

Anonymous said...

To keep eyeliner from smudging and running, I use a primer. Urban Decay's Primer Potion worked great, but the packaging was terrible. I wouldn't buy it again based on that. I also tried Bare Minerals, but when I ran out, my local Sephora didn't have it. I had purchased both in California while I was on vacation. I recently tried one I found at Target, by Elf. For the price (like $3), it works amazing. I still haven't found the "perfect" one, but at least my eyeliner and eye shadow stay on my face all day!

Amira said...

Have you ever used Dermalogica's Sheer Tint Moisturizer? I absolutely love it! I don't even wear face make up because it evens me out and offers SPF 15 :-)

Libby's Life said...

I used the laura mercier tinted moisturizer only a few times because I ended up being allergic to it... I use only bare minerals makeup now because I have extremely sensitive skin and it's helped me a ton! So I definitely recommend any of their products!

Libby's Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillian Nicole said...

I love the tinted moisturizer from Laura Mercier and use it basically everyday in the summer! I also use the Nars lipgloss in Orgasm and I think it's the perfect colour, so I'm betting the blush is as well! I haven't been able to find a mascara that I think is just amazing, so I'm still using my Maybelline pink tube w/ the green lid--let me know how you like the Lancome!:)

Lauren Drugan said...

I used Lash Blast for ages, and then decided to try a "fancy" mascara - I hated it! Within two weeks I was back with Lash Blast. I have teeny tiny eyelashes and it is the best!

Regarding the eyeliner... I don't use a foundation on my whole face, but I do cover my eyelids in a liquid foundation. I find that this helps all the eyeliner stay put.

Tracy @ Honey and Nutmeg said...

I am very minimal with make-up as well. Mascara, eye shadow, eye liner, pressed powder, and sometimes a brow pencil!

Kate said...

I love seeing what kind of make-up other people wear! Mac is my go-to for my blush and bronzer, but I use Clinique foundation. It's called "almost make-up" and it's slightly heavier than a tinted moisturizer, but still really light. I love it!

Natalie said...

I'm really like MAC makeup, too. I used their blush for years, but switched to Nars (Orgasm, of course) a few years ago and haven't looked back since. It's the perfect shade and stays all day. Mascara-wise, I'd either spring for Dior Show or have a ball with drugstore mascara. (I'm happy with Maybelline's Falsies.) Stila makes a tinted moisturizer that I used a while ago and the shimmer to it makes your skin look quite glowly. (I now use Bobbi Brown foundation, which had nice coverage but light, moisturizing feel, as well as her loose powder.)And I'm a huge fan of Urban Decay's primer to keep eye makeup in place (including eyeliner).

Fun post! :)

Noe said...

The Mr. gave me the LANCOME ABSOLU VOYAGE kit. and honestly I LOVED it.
I'm absolutely clean when it comes to make up. But I love me some L'Oréal Paris Double Extension Mascara, this is hands down the BEST mascara I've ever owned. {Well I can't say 'best in the world' coz I haven't tried 'em all}. I think this is all I can suggest as far as make up goes. XOXO

Maggie said...

I have wimpy eyelashes, and use lash blast mascara too. For the most part, I love it but sometimes it seems a bit crumbly - if you end up switching I'd be curious to know if you find a new fave!

And I've also been considering Nars blush, but in Deep Throat (its supposed to be the best color for really pale people like me). I don't use much as far as foundation/powder, partly because I have freckles & don't like to cover them, and partly because I've never found a good match that didn't feel cakey. Maybe I'll have my make up done at mac! I didn't even realize those places did that...did it cost money? I also love the Naked palette by Urban Decay. It was my first good quality eyeshadow purchase, and it's awesome.

Love this post. :)

Jenny said...

I'm not big on wearing a ton of makeup and have been wearing the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer for a few months now and love it. It makes my face look all fresh and dewy and it's super light.

Dior Show is my favorite mascara, but the Lancome is pretty good too, I've used it in the past. For some reason keep coming back to the Dior.

Stephanie said...

I'd recommend the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer!!!

Betsy Transatlantically said...

I have the Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer and LOVE IT! also, I used to use Nars Orgasm but have moved on to Nars Cactus Flower because it has a bit more pop.

Liz said...

Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer is the best! I've been hooked for years!! Expensive, but worth every single penny!