photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

3.19.2012

{happy chicago time}

We had the best time in Chicago this past weekend, full of food and drinks and fun. Our vacation was way too short, but it made me realize that we can do things like this more often.

{I apologize, but I’m terrible at remembering to take pictures…}

Day 1

We got into the city at around 12:30 on Thursday, and headed straight from Midway airport to our hotel right on the Chicago river. We got lost, but eventually found it. After showering and getting ready to go out, we headed to Giordano’s to get some real Chicago style pizza. It was good, but I have to say that I do like thin crust pizza better…

We went to the Art Institute after that, where I got to see some of my favorite artists like Renoir, Degas, and Toulouse-Lautrec. We were kind of exhausted by this point, since we’d been up since four a.m. Pacific Time, so we headed back to our hotel to rest for a little while. Eventually we made our way out again later for a late night snack and some yummy martinis.

Day 2

Tuesday we left early to get Dunkin Donuts {we don’t have those in California…it was a treat} and found ourselves at the Field Museum. We chose to do the Genghis Khan exhibit, which was really interesting. After that, we made our way downtown, where I did some window shopping. We found a great wine bar on Michigan Avenue called Eno, and then went straight to the Signature Lounge for more drinks after that.

Friday night we spent…wait for it…on a gangster tour. Totally cheesy and touristy, but a lot of fun! I’m somewhat of a history nerd, so I’ve been listening to my history podcasts lately to get ready for the trip. Gangsters are especially interesting to me, so I had a good time seeing firsthand where the St. Valentine’s Day massacre occurred, where John Dilinger was shot, and the site of Dean O’Banion’s flower shop.

Day 3

Saturday was the day of Robert’s conference, the entire reason we were in Chicago for the weekend, so I had the day to myself. I met up with Jillian at the BHLDN store and she took me back to her neighborhood for Cuban food and pie. It was so great finally getting to meet her! I always love meeting blog friends in real life.

That afternoon I had some time to myself, so I got a much-needed pedicure for my sore feet and went back to Eno to enjoy a glass of wine. I’ve never minded going out on my own, whether in new cities or my own, so it was nice to explore by myself.

Day 4

Sunday we packed up our things and stored them at the hotel while we made our way to the science museum. They just opened a Mythbusters exhibit, so I had made reservations a few weeks prior. It was a really great exhibit, and Robert even got to participate in the show they did by dodging a paintball gun. Definitely entertaining.

We {reluctantly} headed back to the hotel after that to collect our luggage, and braved the train one more time to get to O’Hare. The flight back was a little bumpy, but we made it home safe and sound.

We really had such a great time while we were there, and I can’t wait for our next trip!

Any suggestions on where we should go next???

12 comments:

Val Fox said...

Glad you had fun! That coconut custard pie up there looks delicious!

Jenna said...

Sounds like so much fun! You definitely took full advantage of the time you had :)

Glad you got to meet Jillian, she's the sweetest!

xxx
Jenna

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

yah! it was so fun to hang out with you. im glad you had a fun time in chicago :) xoxo

Sar said...

Oh my gosh, looks like so much fun!

Carly Anne said...

Looks like you had a blast in my city!

Here is a tip: Much better deep dish can be found at Lou Malnati's. It's a locals joint. ; )

Alyssa said...

Looks so fun!! I've never been to Chicago except being stuck in the airport which is the worst. I'd love to visit one day! and that gangster tour looks so interesting haha I love cheesy things like that.

Amy @ At the Pink of Perfection said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I can't wait to visit Chicago! Of course as an East Coast girl, I dream of Midwest locations!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a fun time in my city!!! The signature lounge is a fabulous place for cocktails, I hope the view was clear for you! Giordano's isn't our best deep dish pizza...if you ever return I'd be happy to suggest where the best deep dish pizza is ;)

Happy travels! xox

jen said...

sounds great! i went to chicago two years ago and absolutely loved it! if you ever come down to miami i'll show you around : )

life spelled jen

Christianna said...

I have a feeling that I need to go to Chicago! That's awesome that you had so much fun! And you got to meet Jillian!

Emily | Recently said...

Your trip looks fabulous! Renoir is a favorite of mine as well!

Unknown said...

oooh we were just in Chicago last summer (it was so blasted hot) but by far one of my most favorite cities! From the shopping to the deep dish pizza...this totally had me reminiscing ha! Looks like you had a blast!

xoxo
Aarean

colorissue.blogspot.com
(my blog inspired by COLOR!)