photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

3.12.2012

{a lady’s closet}

There are just some pieces of clothing that will always be considered sophisticated and classic. Audrey Hepburn wore some of them, brought them into style, and it’s up to us to make sure that they stay that way. What are your wardrobe essentials?

A Lady's Closet

{1} How many times have you heard that a white button down shirt  is essential for a woman’s wardrobe? It might be repetitive to say it, again, but it’s true: a white button down is necessary.

{2} A nice black blazer can make even the most casual look more sophisticated and sleek.

{3} What list of ladylike essentials would be complete without the standard pearl necklace?

{4} And in that same vein, what list wouldn’t include a modest, little black dress?

{5} We all have to carry our belongings in something, and our purses can say a lot about us. It can be nice to use something loud or trendy every once in a while, but I firmly believe that every woman should have a  practical and understated bag in her arsenal as well.

{6} It is perfectly alright for a lady to wear jeans, but let me tell you a little secret: the jeans you wear can make a big difference in how you feel. Instead of choosing a pair that’s in fashion, why not choose something that fits you well and is made nicely? We wear jeans enough that they can fall apart easily if they aren’t quality, and I can tell you that the one pair of Seven jeans that I own have outlasted a dozen other pairs from not-so-great origins.

{7} If you’re like me {and many other women in the world} you’re subject to an unfortunate corporate dress code. The pencil skirt, however, was made just for this reason: to make those of us stuck behind a computer screen all day feel a little bit more feminine. 

{8} They seem so dull and lifeless, but nude pumps are really amazing. They are classic, obviously, but they go with almost any outfit and can make a woman’s legs look incredible.

{9} A lady is also, at times, practical in what she wears, so a pair of practical flats are obviously something every lady should own as well.

{10} And, lastly, every woman should have a signature scent that doesn’t come from Bath and Body Works or Walmart.

What do you think? Did I miss anything?

6 comments:

Amy @ At the Pink of Perfection said...

Love all these, so classic! I'm missing a LBD though..

Anonymous said...

Fabulous Joelle! I did some clean up in my wardrobe at the week-end and am glad you posted this today because I definitely wish to focus a bit more on the essentials.
Classic can match nearly everything and can change a silhouette.
Have a fabulous day!

Jenna said...

I'm pretty classic when it comes to my style taste so if I could choose any basic wardrobe - this one would be it :)

Chance is my perfume of choice, ever since Jurgen got it for me a couple years ago no other perfume seems to make the cut!

xxx
Jenna

Shannon :: The Scribble Pad said...

This list is spot on! I would add two bits:

1. The perfect tee shirt. A woman should be able to thrown on a tee without looking dowdy, but just like many of the items here, that required quality.

2. A signature color. If a woman knows what color always looks good on her, it gives freedom when shopping, or looking for an outfit in a hurry.

Anna said...

That blazer! I love it.
and I agree with you, pencil skirts are an essential.
(found you through Freckled Italian!)

Unknown said...

These are all spot on!