photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

1.20.2011

Day 4: Religion

There is an infinite difference between religion and faith. Religion is an organized institution. Faith is what you personally believe.

 

I'm going to keep this short and sweet, but I will say this: I will never go to a church to have them tell me what to believe.

 

Maybe that's why it's so hard for me to find a church that I can be at. It needs to line up with my beliefs; not the other way around. Not only that, but I need to feel comfortable with the politics and social principles of the church.

 

I am at the point in my life where I am trying to figure out exactly what I believe. I grew up in a church and I love that church. It helped raise me to be the person that I am today. I just don't know if it's the right place for me at this point in my life.  

 

But I do know this: there is a God and he loves me unconditionally. That's all that matters.
 
Love,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in exactly the same place. I grew up in my home church and was actively involved until I went off to college. Since then, it's been hard for me to find (or, honestly? be motivated to find...) a church home. I'm like you in that I need a church to feel right and align with my beliefs more than I need it to be a certain denomination, prestigious, or convenient. Regardless of having a church home, you're right: God exists and he loves all of us forever and ever no matter what we do or say. What refreshing knowledge. :)

beka said...

true, true! lovely post, dear.

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

well said! short and sweet. and so courageous.
i agree. i am a spiritual person and i have a personal relationship with god. i would like a church to fit into that eventually... but i havent found a church that feels like home. i was raised catholic and i have a LOT of issues with most organized religion. hopefully i will find something eventually- but for now i am content. xoxo jcd

Unknown said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that struggles with religion. I see so many blogs out there that have bible verses written blatantly in the header, and sometimes I wonder if I'm going to be ostracized in this community {that I love so much} because I'm not sure of my religious identity. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, even if you didn't know they were encouraging :)

Much love,
Joelle

Laura said...

I have a Bible verse in my header, but I'd never ostracize you! Your last couple sentences are so true, and are really what matters. I love your honesty!

beka said...

^^what Laura said---gosh, so true. She said it so good:)

Alida Sharp said...

Your final sentence speaks volumes... God's love is the only that matters. I don't see myself as religious but as a person of faith.

May your journey be blessed and may you find a place to worship that you feel you can call home.

Just found you over at For the Love of blogs and am a new follower.

Alida