photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

1.10.2011

What Would Joelle Do?

I suppose the fact that I’ve officially drawn criticism about my blog is a good thing. Maybe it means that I’ve actually written something worth writing. But who would have thought that my post about Audrey Hepburn, of all things, would be the one to draw a negative response?


When I first read the response to this post, my initial reaction was anger. One of my biggest pet peeves in life is when people purposefully misinterpret the meaning behind something I say or write and feel the need to respond, just to respond. It’s as if they only want to hear their own opinion and then twist what I’ve written to fit that preconceived notion.


Eventually I realized that on my quest to “figure life out” {as my little bio over the right says}, I need to let things roll off of my back. I don’t need to get angry at something like this, because it’s really only going to make life more complicated. I barely know this person {and yes, I do know them}, but we don’t see each other anymore. If she thinks that she knows who I am as a person from one individual post {when I hope that people would read what I have to say in its entirety, i.e. this blog as a whole}, that’s her loss. I’m not arrogant enough to believe that I know everything there is to know in the world, or even that the path that I’m taking and choosing to document is one-hundred percent infallible.


What I am saying is that I have a role model. I have multiple role models actually, though I chose to document only one yesterday. I’m saying that I’m not perfect, but that this blog is a way for me to try and realize my full potential in all areas of my life. And I’m saying that I don’t need the stress of petty drama that people my age continue bring into their lives. It’s unhealthy.


I wasn’t going to warrant their response with my own, but I changed my mind. Though I’m sure {most of} you realize my intent wasn’t to tell anyone that they should try and be anybody but themselves. I only intended to shed light on my own inspiration for stylish living.


So I’m going to use this post as closure to this inconsequential hiccup in my blogging adventures. I’m sure there will be many more to come, but I only hope that I can deal with such things with as much grace as Audrey would.


Love,

6 comments:

Hannah said...

If it helps, I don't think the intent of your post was misconstrued by your style of writing. Clearly it was tainted by the lens of the reader. Keep on writing! Love your stuff.

P.s. I have a "hater" who seems to check in regularly and has a comment for absolutely everything. Le sigh.

Emily said...

I missed your post on Audrey, but after reading this I went back and scoured it for controversy.

none!!!
(and seriously, who doesn't adore Audrey!)

chin up, my dear! There will always be people who are bored, insecure, and bitter. Not worth your time!

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

omy! what did she say?! i just read the audrey post and it was really nice. i suppose some people just like to be critical and overly dramatic. ah well.. i am glad you stood up for yourself. xoxo jcd

Unknown said...

Thank you friends! You all make blogging and writing that much more worth it :) You are all wonderful ladies and I am so happy you are here!

Megan said...

want me to beat her up for you?

I kid..I kid...

I'm in England after all..

There are negative people out there trying to get a rise out of other who seem to be succeeding at their own journey..

I adore your blog and your writing. so keep it coming.

xx
Meg

beka said...

gosh, some people should just keep it zipped.
i thought your post was lovely!!
i totally concur with all the ladies above:)