photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

1.21.2011

Words

Words can be powerful. What you say or write to someone can have a profound effect.

That is, if you're deliberate with your words, of course. I am very deliberate with my words. I guess that just comes with being a writer. Writing something is a much longer process than just putting the words down on paper. It's researching; trying to find the words that are in congruence with what I'm thinking and with what I honestly mean.  Often, even if I know the basic definition of a word, I'll still look it up in the dictionary to read the exact meaning and to find out if there might be an alternative definition that I didn't think of at first.

I'm not one to throw around words haphazardly for the sole purpose of creating a reaction. Because if the word has no true meaning other than to elicit a response, it has no meaning and is therefore of no importance to me. I guess you could say that this is another one of my recent epiphanies and I've found that it helps quite a bit. That old saying "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me" can be very true if those words are insincere.

I've been thinking a lot lately about words that do mean something to me. Here are two that have entered my thoughts these past few weeks.

Sincerity
[sin-ser-i-tee]

–noun, plural -ties.
freedom from deceit, hypocrisy, or duplicity; probity in intention or in communicating; earnestness.

I mentioned this one above; the idea that if words are insincere then they mean nothing. But I've been thinking a lot recently what it means to live sincerely. It means to live with integrity and with intention. And that's exactly how I want to live.

Support
[suh-pawrt, -pohrt]

–verb (used with object)
1. to bear or hold up (a load, mass, structure, part, etc.); serve as a foundation for.
2. to sustain or withstand (weight, pressure, strain, etc.) without giving way; serve as a prop for.
3. to undergo or endure, esp. with patience or submission; tolerate.
4. to sustain (a person, the mind, spirits, courage, etc.) under trial or affliction: They supported him throughout his ordeal.
5. to maintain (a person, family, establishment, institution, etc.) by supplying with things necessary to existence; provide for: to support a family.
6. to uphold (a person, cause, policy, etc.) by aid, countenance, one's vote, etc.; back; second.
7. to maintain or advocate (a theory, principle, etc.).

I realized yesterday that some may misunderstand me when I say that what others think doesn't matter. If that were entirely true, then the idea of support doesn't matter either. But support is essential to being successful, regardless of where that support comes from. I've recently come to appreciate just how much support I do get in my life, and I think that makes all the difference. To know that you have someone, whether it's a significant other or a friend or a parent, to support you unconditionally is the best feeling in the world.

Thanks all, for listening to me. And if you feel compelled to leave a comment on this post, please only do so if it's truly sincere.

Much love,

3 comments:

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

I am quite fond of definitions :) You made my day by bringing to light the definitions of those words, and have made me very aware of how they play out in my life. Have a great weekend, sweet girl!

Crystal said...

I really really liked this piece. I, too, think words can have a very powerful effect...good or bad. I am careful with my words when talking to my kids and very deliberate when I write. I found you via FTLOB...glad I did. Have a great weekned!

Allegro Mama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.