photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

1.14.2011

My Mission

Have any of you ever written a personal mission statement? As someone deeply involved in all types of extracurricular activities while in college {you know what I mean, the ones where you are supposed to do all types of personal reflection before you are able to do what you want to do}, I've written more "mission statements" than I can remember. I don't know that any of them, however, truly captured my *mission* in life.

So, I started thinking about it this morning, and this is what I came up with.
  
I believe in living a proactive, thoughtful, and passionate life.

The road may be scary,
And the future unknown,
But I will not sit by passively, watching as my life wanders around aimlessly,
With no direction.

Thoughtful: contemplative, reflective, careful, considerate.
There are so many definitions for the word thoughtful,
And each one describes how I want to live.

I want to think about things,
Understand how my actions affect those around me,
And how my actions affect my happiness, sanity, and success in life.

I want to be reflective,
And use every opportunity to learn something new.

I admit that I am not reckless.
I am careful.
I am not spontaneous or unplanned.
I am organized and cautious and restrained.
And that’s okay.

I want the people in my life,
Those who matter,
To see a kind, considerate, and caring person when they look at me.
I want them to see love and generosity and a kind heart.
But I need to be okay with the fact that not everyone will see these things in me.
And that’s okay too.
Because the people that are the most important,
Are the ones who love me for me.
And I need to be okay with the fact that I am not perfect,
{Far from it, in fact}.
But the best I can do is to try.

And I want to live passionately.
I want live and love and just *be* passionately.
I want to truly believe in what I believe,
And stand by it without being ashamed.
I want to discover the things and people that I love,
And truly love them.

But beyond all of this, I want to love myself passionately.
Because I need to love myself,
For everything that I am,
Before I can love anything else. 

Thanks for listening.

Love,

5 comments:

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

what a wonderful idea! lovely mission statement. so honest and optimistic. xoxo jcd

Anonymous said...

I especially love the whole part about how it's okay if not everyone sees the love and kindness you embody because the people who matter do. That's something I really struggle with...feel misunderstood or misperceived? But you're so right: the important people, the people we love and that really know us see all those beautiful, good-hearted, kind things about us and that's all that matters. :)

Louba said...

This is beautiful!Like Andrea I think the nicest part is that you're ok that not everyone sees who and what you are because you and the people you care about do. It's taken a long time for me to get myself to understand and accept that to be true.

I've just recently found your blog and I'm really enjoying reading it so I wanted to pass the stylish blogger award on to you - details are all here
http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2011/01/me-stylish.html

LBDDiaries said...

Really amazing mission statement. I am going to have to come up with one for myself. Yours is beautifully written, but it is the thought of love, living life to the fullest, the caring behind it that counts. LBS Tea Party!

Heather said...

Great idea! Mission statements always written in college for everything else besides what matters to you and who you want to be and express to others. Coming by from FTLOB and I believe I will follow and stick around. You sound genuine and kind.