photo Charming_zps24b0f6e3.png

1.11.2011

{Virtual Coffee}

Today is Tuesday. For some reason, this week, Tuesday is turning out to be much more difficult that Monday. It took all the energy I had to get out of bed this morning, and that was after hitting the snooze button five times.

Anyway, if we were having coffee together this morning, I would tell you how I purged my Facebook last night and how good I felt about it after. I deleted so many people, not necessarily because I didn't like them, but because I just haven't talked to them in so long. I made myself a rule as well: if it takes me more than a few seconds to remember who a person is, they gotta go. While this made me feel much better about life {for some strange reason}, I'm not nearly as brave as my friend who deleted her Facebook all together this past weekend. No, that's much too ambitious for me.

I want to thank all of you, by the way, for listening to my mini rants and being with me while I'm trying to figure this crazy world out. It's truly amazing though, how just writing things down can help you realize so much about yourself. I had {another} epiphany yesterday, as I was thinking about what it means to eliminate all forms of unecessary stress from my life.

I realized that I am an adult {wait, when did that happen?}. I have a husband and we support ourselves. I have a real, grown-up job. We have our own little apartment. I like wine and I went to bed at 9:30 last night.

I've been concerned with what other people think for as long as I can remember. For most of my life, my main motivation has been to make sure that people like me. I realized yesterday, however, that none of them matter. People from college; the people that I barely spoke to and yet are so concerned about what they think, don't matter. The people from high school that I haven't seen in six years don't matter.

There's a great quote by Dr. Seuss {of all people}: Those who mind, don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind.

What an amazing way to think! After giving this idea more thought, I realized how true it is. I have a husband; someone who will always be on my side, and who loves me more than anything. I have my best friends who are always there; who give me more love and support than I deserve. I have a family that is actually proud of what I've accomplished in my life.

And I have all of you, who take precious time out of your day to read this little blog. You are all so supportive, and what all of you think is much more important than what some inconsequential person that I haven't spoken to in years thinks.

So, thank you for helping me realize what it's finally feels like to not care. I am who I am, and if someone minds, then they obviously don't matter.

Thanks for listening {again}. You are all wonderful, beautiful people, and I feel privileged to call you all my friends.

Much love,

8 comments:

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

what a wonderful post! it is nice to be at that place where you are happy with how things are, proud of your accomplishments and lucky enough to have people in your life who love and support you. i think its great that you are taking charge and making yourself happy. xoxo jcd (ps stop by today! i gave you a little award)

Alisha said...

Great post friend! Way to be completely honest with yourself and ALL of us. That's what makes a great writer.

Wish we could really have coffee and talk...one day! :) Have a fabulous Tuesday!

CarrieJo said...

Great post! Everything you said is so true and I am glad that you put your thoughts to words so that we could take some time today to let them sink in for ourselves as well!

I know we haven't really met, but I don't have to meet you to know that you are an incredible woman! :)

Christi said...

I love wine.
I am in bed at 9pm ... we watch a show and are asleep by 10:30pm. I love this time with my hubby!
I agree, when did I become an adult? I think I like it, though.
Oh Facebook ... it can squeeze the time right out of your day. I won't delete my account but I do spend a lot less time on there than when I first signed up.
The Dr. Suess quote is one of my favorites and a great reminder of who a true friend is.
It was great to meet for coffee this morning. Hop on over to my blog for my Tea on Tuesday! See you next week.

beka said...

i love that dr. suess quote!
i love your sweet blog:)

Unknown said...

You are all so sweet! I don't think you understand how much all of your support really means to me. Thank you so much for the love and kind words!

Adrian {Happy girl} said...

Ahh I love good epiphanies that put you in a better head space! Glad you are feeling better about life and realizing you don't have to please everyone, just make yourself happy. Have a great week!

Chelsea said...

I always LOVED that Dr. Seuss quote. Nice post!